South African strike bowler Kagiso Rabada is eager to return to action for this week’s third test against England at The Oval after serving a one-match suspension for disciplinary reasons, bowling coach Charl Langeveldt said on Monday.
The 22-year-old missed the second test in Nottingham after being banned for what the International Cricket Council (ICC) called “inappropriate language” towards England batsman Ben Stokes in the first test at Lord’s.
Rabada was handed one demerit point for giving Stokes a send-off after the all-rounder was caught behind in the first test, which England won by 211 runs, but under ICC regulations was banned for accumulating four points in a 24-month period.
The fast bowler had already been penalised three points for “deliberate physical contact” with Sri Lanka’s Niroshan Dickwella in February, but Langeveldt said the incident has not affected Rabada’s morale.
South Africa won the second test by 340 runs to level the four-match series at 1-1.