CA boss flags Bangladesh tour in 2017 – James Sutherland says there’s a high chance Australia will play two Tests in Bangladesh later this year
Steven Smith and his men were supposed to tour Bangladesh in October 2015. But the trip was postponed at the last moment over security concerns, despite the Bangladesh government promising highest possible security.
Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland says chances are high that the Aussies will visit Bangladesh for a two-Test series later this year, unless new security issues crop up. Citing the same reason, Australia also pulled out of the Under-19 World Cup in Bangladesh early last year.
The tournament was held without any untoward incident. “I think they’re quite high,” CA website quoted Sutherland as saying to ABC radio on Wednesday regarding the chances of Australia touring Bangladesh in 2017.
England’s month-long tour went smoothly over venues in Dhaka and Chittagong towards the end of last year. During the tour, Cricket Australia sent their head of security Sean Caroll to Bangladesh to observe the situation. Sutherland said no dates had yet been fixed for the series.
Australia have not played a Test in Bangladesh since Ricky Ponting and his men toured the country in 2006. Other than major tournaments, the two nations have played just two ODI series against each other in Darwin (2008) and Dhaka (2011) since then.